Here is the recipe I used last week to make 200 Sugar Cookies Shaped like the United States for the kids at church. I forgot to take pictures of the decorated cookies but I frosted them with vanilla frosting and decorated them with Patriotic sprinkles I found on clearance at Aldi.
I found the recipe in the book Presidential Cookies by Bev Young. I received this book as a Birthday gift from my Aunt. For those of you in the Kansas City area, she purchased it at the Truman Home Visitor's Center gift shop on the square in Independence. Here is the recipe:
Sugar Cookies from Mrs. Eisenhower's White House Recipe Files
(makes 2-3 dozen cookies depending on size of cookie cutter)
- 1/2 cup Butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks (well beaten)
- 1 tablespoon Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, adding sugar slowly. Mix until fluffy.
- Stir in well-beaten egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with the cream.
- Chill cookie dough for one hour. Roll out on a floured surface and cut in any desired shape.
- Sprinkle with sugar before baking. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
I purchased the United States Cookie Cutter from CheapCookieCutters.com.
This post is linked to: