Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cincinnati Chili Recipe


I lived in Cincinnati, Ohio for several years as a child and as a teenager. My favorite part about living in Cincinnati was Skyline Chili.

Several years ago I started craving Cincinnati Chili and so I searched for a recipe online.   I found a recipe for Cincinnati chili at All recipes. I started with this recipe and then modified it based on comments other readers had left.

For those of you familiar with Cincinnati Chili I would love to know what you think of my recipe. I have made this recipe for several years now and I think it is pretty close to the real thing (this is based on a 20 25+ year old memory). My husband and son loved it!

For those of you not familiar with Cincinnati chili, if you try this recipe don't compare it to regular chili. It is nothing like regular chili and it is served on spaghetti with cheddar cheese and onions. The consistency of Cincinnati chili is more like spaghetti meat sauce. If you try it, keep an open mind and don't compare it to regular chili or spaghetti.

Ingredients:

2 (10.5oz) cans beef broth

3 lbs. ground beef

1/4 cup chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 (1 ounce) square unsweetend chocolate (trust me on this one, don't leave it out)

1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce


Add uncooked ground beef and beef broth to crockpot. Cook on high for 2 hours.



After two hours add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Serve over spaghetti and top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and chopped onions. Yummy!

4 comments:

  1. I dont like Cincinnati style chili, but I love that huge mound of cheese on top of it in that first photo! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Just found your blog. I'm between KC and StL - love seeing a local blogger! I haven't tried your recipe yet, but please tell me about cooking hamburger in your crockpot. Do you just leave it mashed in there and then stir when done? This would be a huge time saver for using my crockpot. I could start it when I get up and before I leave the house, give it a stir and add the remaining ingredients. I've never cooked hamburger like this. I guess is crumbles up ok (because your Cinncinati chili looks really yummy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina,
    I usually crumble the raw hamburger meat as I put it in the crockpot and then use a spoon to break apart any "hambuger lumps" once it is done. Let me know if you try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there.... I just stumbled on your blog - I grew up on the outskirts of Cincy (about 30 min from downtown) and moved away about 10-11 years ago. The stores there sell the "secret spice" packs to make this at home if you want to make a 'batch' and compare it to your recipe! I have family and friends who send me more packets when I run out! I agree - it's one of the things I totally miss about living there. That, and UDF Ice Cream. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...