Thursday, December 16, 2010

Frugal Friday: Dishes for Delivering Meals or Treats



Last month I delivered a meal to a family with a new baby.  I decided to purchase a disposable pan for the main dish so the family did not have to worry about washing & returning a casserole dish.  I don't purchase a lot of disposable products and I was shocked at the price for this item!!  What a waste of money!  It also was not very sturdy and was extremely difficult to transport. 

The next day I went thrift store shopping and purchased several casserole dishes & pretty dinner plates (for Christmas Cookies).  Each item cost between $.50 - $1.00 is about 60-70% less than the cost of disposables.  Now when I deliver a meal the family will have the option of keeping the plate, giving it away, donating it or paying it forward when they deliver a meal.  It also keeps disposables out of the land fill and it is just a nicer way to deliver a meal!



For more frugal ideas, visit Frugal Friday at Life as Mom.

2 comments:

  1. how nice a meal and then no dishes to return either and each time they use them they will think of you how thoughtful of a friend you are I love your idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I hate using disposable, but I also know that when you deliver a meal to help, getting your pot or pan back is a stumbling block.

    Thanks for sharing this great tip! Would have never thought of it... and such an easy solution!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...