Friday, May 6, 2011

Frugal Friday: Homemade Microwave Cleaner


I have to admit that I love my microwave. Before my husband & I got married, I did not own a microwave (by choice). I made popcorn the old fashioned way, boiled water in a tea kettle and heated leftovers in my toaster oven. My husband desperately missed having a microwave once we were married and so I finally purchased one as a gift for his first Father's Day. I think that I have used it more than him since then!!



The one thing I do not like about the microwave is that odors can linger, especially strong odors like garlic or bacon. When you have a lingering odor in your microwave food starts to come out tasting funny. Here is a natural homemade cleaner that I use to get rid of those lingering microwave odors.




Microwave Cleaner
  • 1/4 cup Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Vinegar
  • 5-6 drops Lemon Essential Oil (available at health food stores)
Combine all ingredients to make a paste. Apply to the walls and floor of the microwave with a soft cloth or sponge. Rinse well and leave the microwave door open to air-dry for about 30 minutes. If you have a glass turntable in your microwave, remove and wash by hand or in the dishwasher.


This recipe is from one of my favorite books:

The Naturally Clean Home by Karyn Siegel-Maier.




This post is linked to:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...