Thursday, March 18, 2010

Frugal Friday: Homemade Bisquick Mix


I have always kept Bisquick in my pantry. I have several recipes that I use Bisquick in and I like to make pancakes using Bisquick. I never really thought about what is in it, I just purchased it as a convenience item. I am trying to stop buying convenience items so I decided to do some research and find out what is in Bisquick mix. I found multiple recipes on the internet but this one is my favorite.


      Homemade Bisquick Mix



      • 9 cups All Purpose Flour


      • 1/4 cup Sugar


      • 2 1/3 cup Powdered Milk


      • 1/3 cup Baking Powder


      • 1 tablespoon Salt


      • 2 cups Shortening


      1. In a large bowl mix together thoroughly the dry ingredients.


      2. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is the consistency of cornmeal.


      3. Store mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.



      For more frugal ideas, visit Frugal Friday at Life as Mom.

      4 comments:

      1. great idea! I recently purchased a cookbook called Make A Mix because I also want to make more from scratch and stop buying convenience foods. and now I can't wait to try this mix recipe!

        ReplyDelete
      2. Leslie,
        That sounds like a great book!! Who is the author and where did you buy it?

        ReplyDelete
      3. I use a version of homemade Bisquick too - except it tastes 100% better than Bisquick (if that's possible!) We love it. I have a tweaked version from More with Less Cookbook.

        The Make a Mix cookbook is good! I checked it out at my library...might want to peek there first.:)

        -Lauren

        ReplyDelete
      4. Thanks for the recipe! I really like using Bisquick too, and this seems like it will be a huge money saver!

        ReplyDelete

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...