Thursday, April 1, 2010

Frugal Friday: Homemade Carpet Steamer Shampoo

Several years ago I purchased a Dirt Devil Carpet Steamer.  This was definitely a good investment.  If you have kids or pets it is almost a neccessity! 

The carpet shampoo for the steamer is very expensive.  I have never seen this product on sale or coupons for this product.  Even the generic ones cost around $10 a bottle at Wal-Mart. 

I found a recipe for Homemade Carpet Steamer Shampoo in "The Naturally Clean Home" by Karyn Siegel-Maier.  If you like to or are interested in learning how to make homemade cleaning supplies this is a great book.


Homemade Carpet Steamer Shampoo

  • 3/4 cup very Hot Water
  • 1/2 cup White Vinegar
  • 1 Tablepoon Liquid Castile Soap (available at health food stores)
  • 30 drops Thyme Essential Oil (also available at health food stores)- this provides antibacterial properties and a very refreshing scent
Pour all ingredients into a container with a pour spout (or you can use a funnel) and blend well.  Add the formula to the appropriate compartment on your steam cleaner and clean your carpet according to the manufacturers directions.


For more frugal ideas, visit Frugal Friday at Life as Mom.



3 comments:

  1. As I was vacuuming our living room rug I just minutes ago I was thinking I need to shampoo it. I'm going to see if they carry that Castile soap locally. I'm bookmarking this so I don't forget the recipe! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy--

    I just purchased the Naturally Clean Home book and was looking at this recipe (I had seen it on your blog a while back!) Anyways, I was wondering how much success you've had with it. We're getting ready to move into a new home and really aren't prepared financially to have the carpets professionally cleaned--but the previous owners have pets and we have a little girl who will be crawling on the carpets---and we really want to get them cleaned beforehand.

    thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    I really like this recipe. I have used it mostly for spot cleaning but I have used it a few times for cleaning high traffic areas. I think the results are as good as with the store bought stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...