This week is Christmas Cookie Week and so each day I will be sharing a recipe (or two) for some of our favorite Christmas Cookies. I am starting off the week with my favorite recipe for Sugar Cookies. This recipe is from Presidential Cookies by Bev Young.
Sugar Cookies from Mrs. Eisenhower's White House Recipe Files
(makes 2-3 dozen cookies depending on size of cookie cutter)
- 1/2 cup Butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks (well beaten)
- 1 tablespoon Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, adding sugar slowly. Mix until fluffy.
- Stir in well-beaten egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with the cream.
- Chill cookie dough for one hour. Roll out on a floured surface and cut in any desired shape.
- Sprinkle with sugar before baking. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes.