Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ultimate Recipe Swap: Kosher Dill Pickles


This summer I discovered canning and I have to admit I love it!!  I am able to preserve the fruits & veggies from my garden to eat later this winter and I think the process is fun!  This is a pickle recipe that my friend (Thanks D'Ann!) shared with me.  I love it because you can make 1 jar of pickles at a time. 


Easy Kosher Dill Pickles


Add 1 teaspoon of Mustard Seed, 1 teaspoon Canning Salt and a large sprig of dill to each warm jar (I clean my jars in the dishwasher and then use them immediately when the cycle is complete so they are still warm).  Slice cucumbers and pack them into the jars.  In a saucepan add equal parts water & white vinegar (1 cup of each will make 3-4 jars).  Bring to boil.  Poor boiling liquid into each jar leaving 1 inch space at the top.  Wipe the rims of the jars and put the lids on tight.  Process in Hot Water Bath Canner for 15-20 minutes.  Place jars on a cooling rack and allow to cool and seal (pop sound).  When the jars are completely cool, check to make sure the lids have properly (press on the lid and it should not pop back) sealed and then store for 4-6 weeks in a cool dry place.  The pickles will be ready to eat after 4-6 weeks.




For more recipes with fresh produce, visit Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom.

I have been a canning crazy woman this summer!!  So far, I have made salsa, pickles, pepper jelly, blueberry jam, peach jam, blackberry jam (same recipe as the blueberry jam) & blueberry pie filling (recipe is for raspberry but I used blueberries).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...