Saturday, November 17, 2012

Preparing Mashed Potatoes Ahead for Thanksgiving Dinner


Making food ahead of time is a great way to save time and oven space on Thanksgiving Day.  Last weekend I prepared & froze 10 lbs. of mashed potatoes for our Thanksgiving Dinner.



First I washed & peeled the potatoes.  Then I placed them in the crockpot, covered them with water, added a little salt and let them cook on high for 6 hours.


When the potatoes were cooked, I put them in my Kitchen Aid mixer with butter, milk, salt, onion powder, garlic powder & white pepper.  I then whipped them until they were creamy & fluffy.



To freeze the mashed potatoes, I decided to put them in freezer bags so I could lay them flat in the freezer.  This works great if you have a small freezer or limited freezer space because the bags do not take up very much room.

The day before Thanksgiving, I will place the bags in the refrigerator to thaw.  On Thanksgiving Day, I will heat the mashed potatoes in a baking dish in the oven.  They also could be heated in a crockpot or on the stove.  If the mashed potatoes need to be thickened aftter thawing, just add some instant mashed potato flakes until they reach the consistency you like.



This post is linked to:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...